Clinical Reflexology, Maternity Reflexology, Reikiflex (Reiki & Reflexology combined), Reflexology Lymphatic drainage
My Reflexology qualifications
It was very important to me that I gained a reflexology qualification that was nationally recognised by the NHS and CNHC (complementary and Natural Healthcare Council) so I decided to study a level 3 diploma in Reflexology with the IIR (International Institute of Reflexology) They are the only Reflexology school to teach the original Ingham method of reflexology, which forms the techniques for all types of reflexology taught today. They are also the only Reflexology school that is fully approved and regulated by City and Guilds. Being an MAR qualified Reflexologist means I am a member of the AOR (Association of Reflexologists) which is the largest governing body for Reflexologists in the UK.
I have also undertook additional Reflexology training so I can provide specialised treatments in the following areas
- Clinical Reflexology
- Maternity Reflexology
- Lymphatic drainage Reflexology (RLD),
- Crystal Reflexology
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a complimentary therapy based on the theory that there are reflex points within the hands and feet which mirror all the organs, glands and parts of the body. Stimulating these reflex points with the fingers and thumbs using pressure and massage techniques stimulates a positive healing response in the body, helping to bring it back into homeostasis (balance). Reflexology is thought to have many health benefits including:
- Relieving stress and tension
- Improving nerve and blood supply
- Promoting the unblocking of nerve impulses
- Clearing and balancing the mind, encouraging inner peace
- Improving mood
- Balancing hormones
- Reducing fatigue and increasing energy levels
- Improving sleep quality and quantity
- Inducing a state of deep relaxation
How does Reflexology work?
There are several theories behind the effectiveness of Reflexology including:
- The u bend or lactic acid theory, since the feet are the extremities of the body it is thought that waste body products and toxins can become trapped there. By massaging and stimulating the feet they can become unblocked, and the body is encouraged to then release them.
- The meridian theory. This theory originates from the Chinese belief of energy channels flowing threw the body. Any blockages can therefore cause imbalances and disease in the body. Stimulating the energy channels in the feet helps remove the blockages.
- The nerve impulse theory. It is believed that there are 7200 nerve endings in the feet. Nerves are all connected and it is the brain and spinal cord that sends out signals. It is thought that by stimulating the feet nerve endings these pathways can be cleared and made more efficient.
Who is Reflexology for, and what happens at a session?
Reflexology is suitable for people of all ages from babies to the elderly, and is one of the most relaxing therapies out there. It can be used as a valuable tool to help support your body and mind physically, mentally and emotionally. If you are experiencing a particularly difficult or stressful time in your life Reflexology can help to support you through this transition period and bring you back into balance. It can also help you to gain control over your health and manage ongoing physical symptoms. No matter what the reason for your treatment, you will leave the therapy room feeling like you are floating on air!
At your first appointment we will go thorough a consultation, this is so I can tailor your treatment to your individual needs and find out exactly what you would most like to get out of your Reflexology sessions. I focus my treatment sessions on putting you at ease as much as I possible can, please don't feel put off by trying Reflexology because you feel self conscious about your feet or because you think the treatment will tickle, I can assure you it doesn't and I have seen it all before, nothing will shock me I promise!
Reasons people try and love Reflexology!
Clients come to see me to try Reflexology for many different reasons, but most often it is because it provides them with relief from ongoing pain and symptoms from a wide variety of chronic and acute health conditions. Common reasons for a visit include:
- Arthritis & mobility issues
- Lymphoedema, primary & secondary
- Plantar fasciitis & painful feet
- Migraines & Headaches
- Stress & Tension
- Anxiety, Depression & Low mood
- Back, Shoulder, Neck and joint pain
- Swelling, inflammation & oedema
- Fibromyalgia & other pain related conditions
- IBS, Crohns, coealic disease & other digestive issues
- Fatigue, & lack of motivation
- Painful periods, PCOS, endometriosis & other fertility issues
- Menopause, Perimenopause & PMT
- Sleep issues and quality
- Breast cancer (to support the body & mind during and after chemotherapy, radiotherapy & surgery)
Reflexology treatments I offer- clinical Reflexology, Reflexology Lymphatic drainage, Maternity Reflexology, Reikiflex, Crystal Reflexology
Clinical Reflexology focuses very much on improving you physical health, and working to reduce ongoing physical symptoms from chronic and acute health conditions. This could be pain, inflammation, mobility issues, headaches, plantar fasciitis and painful feet, swelling and oedema of the legs, arms, hands or feet or reducing stress, anxiety or low mood. after your initial consultation we will put together a treatment plan that focuses on working the specific reflex points you are currently experiencing issues with. All consultations are strictly private and confidential, and I am bound by the therapists laws of confidentiality and data protection never to discuss anything you tell me during a session outside of the treatment room.
Reflexology Lymphatic Drainage (RLD)
RLD is an award winning reflexology technique which focuses on stimulating the lymphatic reflexes on the feet. It focuses on causing an effect on the lymphatic system in the body. It is a unique sequence that has been researched and developed by Sally Kay, whilst working in Cancer Care.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK. According to Cancer Research UK (2011), the lifetime risk of developing it in the UK is 1:8 for women and 1:1014 for men. Approximately 20% of these patients develop secondary lymphoedema of the arm following treatment for breast cancer.
Lymphoedema is described as tissue swelling due to the failure of lymph drainage. After receiving treatment for breast cancer a person may be left with localised swelling of one or more limbs. Recieving regular RLD Reflexology treatments over a period of time has been shown to result in a reduction of the fluid build up of the affected limb, and thus a reduction of further fluid build-up. If you would like to know more about RLD and some of the amazing research into the effectiveness of the technique please follow the underlined link to view some of Sally Kay's RLD research
RLD may also be used to bring relief from symptoms of the following conditions
- Chronic fatigue
- Sinus problems
- Muscular tension
- Aches and pains
- Premenstrual Syndrome
Reikiflex combines all the benefits of a Reiki & Reflexology treatment rolled into one and is delivered through the feet. As well as focusing on stimulating and working the Reflexlogy points in the feet I also send a wave of calming, healing Reiki energy through the reflex points. This means that the body is balanced both physically and energetically, benefits can include
- The lymphatic system is stimulated helping the body to get rid of excess toxins.
- The chakras and energy system of the body is balanced and energy blockages are removed.
- The nervous system is balanced activating the parasympathetic nervous and helping to reduce the feelings of flight and fight.
- Hormones are balanced helping to reduce PMT perimenopause and menopause symptomes.
- Stress, tension and anxiety are lifted with a feeling of calm passing through the body.
- Pain, inflammation and aches and pains are relieved.
- Feelings of anxiety are lifted, and the bodies own feel good hormones endorphin & oxytocin are stimulated helping to life mood.
- The mind is cleared, helping to reduce negative thought patterns and bring about a feeling of deep relaxation stimulating the bodies own natural healing abilities.
During pregnancy, women may find Reflexology to be very relaxing, helping them to maintain health and well-being. The treatment may also help them to cope with the change in hormone levels within the body and encourage the efficient removal of bodily waste.
During pregnancy time, women experience hormone changes, bodily changes, emotions and feelings and at this time they deserve special care. Reflexology is second to none as a complimentary therapy before, during and after pregnancy. In this world where we rush about so much, it gives the mother-to-be one hour of quality time to just ‘be’. It may also ease many conditions associated with pregnancy that mothers-to-be may experience. Ladies who experience Reflexology throughout their pregnancy often report a much shorter labour and less need for intervention. The unborn baby also enjoys Reflexology and it is common for it to become very active during a treatment.
I have undertaken specialist training to enable me to design targeted reflexology treatments for pre-conception (trying to conceive), ante-natal (during pregnancy) and Post-natal (after pregnancy). Reflexology can be a fabulous support for couples trying to conceive, both naturally and using assisted conception. It helps to assist any underlying conditions that may be inhibiting conception, regulates the menstrual cycle and improves sperm production. It also helps support your body through your pregnancy journey, and after your little one is born by bringing your body back into balance and helping you to adapt to being a parent.
I decided to train in this specialised area of reflexology after my own little boy was born. I felt so lucky to have him, and felt so much joy in being a mum that I wanted to help other people to achieve their dream of being a parent.
A uniquely relaxing treatment combining the health benefits of Reflexology combined with the healing properties of crystals. Crystal tools are used to massage the reflex points in the feet, whilst absorbing the healing energies of the crystals through the feet.
Limbic reflexology involves focusing on the reflex points on the feet connected to our limbic brain, the part of the brain which generates emotional, physiological and behavioural responses. This can include our experience of pain, or what situations cause us to experience fear and anxiety. It may help bring relief from many chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia, and ongoing stress and anxiety related conditions.